Breakfast is my favorite meal of the day because it’s the one meal that I don’t mind eating for breakfast, lunch or dinner. This Baked Cranberry, Apple, and Walnut Oatmeal can be served for breakfast, lunch, dinner or even dessert, too.
Grab a copy of Nicole’s book if you are looking for healthy and balanced recipes.
Baked Cranberry, Apple and Walnut Oatmeal
Yield: 6 servings
Calories per serving: 388
Fat per serving: 15.7 g
- 3 cups old-fashioned oats
- 1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- freshly grated or a pinch nutmeg
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1/3 cup unsweetened appleasauce
- 2 medium apples, peeled and diced (Granny Smith or FijI)
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2/3 cup cranberries
- 1/3 cup walnuts
- turbinando sugar, garnishment (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Coat a 9×9 baking dish with nonstick cooking spray or Misto, set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the oats, brown sugar, baking powder, cinnamon nutmeg and salt. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine the milk, butter, applesauce and eggs. Whisk until combined.
- Combine the wet ingredients into the dry ingredient bowl. Mix until combined. Fold in apples, cranberries and walnuts. Pour into prepared baking dish. (Optional) Sprinkle turbinado sugar on top if desired for a crunchy sugar topping.
- Bake 40 to 45 minutes. Allow to rest for 5 to 10 minutes before serving.
Review: The perfect breakfast meal and it was minimal work.