Happy last Friday of the month of May! I have been slowly working my way back in the kitchen and been trying to figure out the rhythm while juggling a newborn and a toddler! This month has been an absolute blur to me, and I have been loving my precious time at home with my two sweet kiddos. I still cannot believe that I have two children now in the matter of two years.
I still have a couple brownie recipes that I’m dying to make but post-pregnancy I have been craving the complete opposite of a brownie. The blondie! A blondie is sometimes confused as a brownie because it contains no chocolate. Yet, they are uniquely scrumptious and deserve their own distinct sweet category. They are equally chewy, rich and flavorful as compared to a brownie, and one indulgent dessert that you will find hard to resist. These brown-butter toffee blondies are simply sensational because it’s like taking a bite of butterscotch in a bar. The browned butter gives an extra silky flavor to the blondie and the toffee bits melt in your mouth. Make a batch or two for your loved ones!
Brown-Butter Toffee Blondies
Adapted from Martha Stewart
Yield: 24 bars Ingredients
- 1 1/4 cups (2 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, plus extra for pan
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour, plus extra for pan
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 cups packed light-brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 3 large eggs, room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 cup slivered almonds
- 1 cup toffee bits
- Confectioners’ sugar, for dusting
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter a 9×13 baking pan. Line bottom of pan with parchment paper. Butter and flour the parchment paper, set aside.
- In a saucepan over medium heat, warm the butter until it turns golden brown. Remove from heat, and let cool slightly.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt.
- In the bowl of the stand mixer, combine both of the sugars. Stir with a wooden spoon until combined. Add the eggs one by one until combined. Beat on medium-high speed until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add vanilla, and mix to combine.
- Add flour mixture, slivered almonds, and toffee bits. Mix until thoroughly combined, and pour into prepared pan.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely before removing from pan. Remove parchment paper and cut blondies into 2 to 3 inch squares. Dust with confectioners’ sugar if desired.
Review: Purely sinful and an excellent recipe!