My niece and nephew just turned 3 this past weekend, and as a special request from my youngest sister – I had made Elmo cupcakes. Last year, I made them babycakes – little mini cupcakes. Cupcakes are the quintessential birthday dessert right? The twins absolutely love Elmo, he’s got this lovable laugh and is universally recognizable to any little toddler. I figured these would be a nice addition to their birthday party, and fun for the little kids to eat as well. Use a frosting that will hold shape well, the buttercream recipe that I used did not take well to my spiking efforts.
Easy Assembly: Cupcakes – I used strawberry & devils food
Red frosting of your choice or white frosting and color it with Wilton Red Icing Paste
Wilton White Candy MeltsOreos – cut them in half to make mouthsOrange marshmallows to make nose – cheapest kid friendly ORANGE candy that I could find. I wasn’t going to buy gumballs for little 3 year olds to eat. Orange gumballs look better as the nose.
Wilton Black Sparkle Gel
1. Bake your cupcakes as directed and let cool to room temperature.
2. Prepare the mouths, split Oreos into halves, eat broken ones if you want.
3. Prepare the eyes, add a little black gel to the white candy melts.
4. Frost the cupcakes, spike it up with a fork to create a feather look. It would have worked better if I had piped the frosting.
5. Assemble the cupcakes, add the eyes, marshmallow noses, and Oreo mouths.
Presto…you got Elmo!